Green Ways are old disused railway lines which have been converted into cycling trails with gentle slopes and no motor vehicles.
The Green Way follows the route of the old Val de Zafan railway. This line was designed to run from Puebla de Híjar to the Mediterranean with the aim of connecting Aragon to the sea for commerce and trade reasons. Although the first stretches of the line were constructed at the end of the nineteenth century, it did not reach Tortosa until 1942 and here work stopped. The final stretch from Tortosa to the coast at San Carles de la Ràpita was never built. The railway was only in use for a further thirty-one years before a series of problems led to the line closing on 17 Setember 1973.
Details of the Natural Trail: The Val de Zafán Green Way
Aragon route: 81.6 km
- North Teruel section: 18 km from the railway station in La Puebla de Híjar to the old station in Puigmoreno. Stations: La Puebla de Híjar – Samper de Calanda- Puigmoreno.
- Lower Aragon section: 30 km, from Puigmoreno station to Valdealgorfa station. (this section is shared with motor vehicles along an unpaved dirt track). Stations: Alcañiz.
- Matarranya section: 33.6 km, (with an additional 14.4 km of unrestored disused railway line) between Valdealgorfa station (in Teruel) and Arnes/Lledó station. Stations: Valdealgorfa, Valjunquera, Valdeltormo, Torre del Compte, Valderrobres, Cretes, Arnes/Lledó.
Catalonia route: 48.4 km
- Terra Alta section: 23.4 km. from Arnes/Lledó station to Pinell de Brai station. Stations: Arnes/Lledó, Horta de Sant Joan, Bot, Prat de Compte, La Fontcalda (nature area), Pinell de Brai.
- Baix Ebre section: 25 km. from Pinell de Brai station to Tortosa. Stations: Benifallet, Xerta, Aldover, Jesús, Roquetes, Tortosa.
Total distance: 130 km
0 km to 18 km: Val de Zafán – Bajo Martín section (18 km)
18 km to 48 km: Val de Zafán – Bajo Aragón section (30 km)
48 km to 81.6 km: Val de Zafán – Matarraña section (33.6 km)
81.6 km to 105 km: Val de Zafan – Terra Alta section (23.4 km)
105 km to 130 km: Val de Zafan – Baix Ebre section (25 km)